Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Toilet Training

While touring the premises of Bedok Methodist Church, I was gently informed by the administrator that it is a pre requisite for Kai Lynn to be toilet trained when she attends their pre nursery class in Jan 2014. This set me in a mini frenzy as I'm not sure if my baby is ready. Nonetheless, I decided to try my luck (while I am still at home on maternity leave) and start her on toilet training.

Some useful tips I found: 
1. Buy underwear. Character ones help :) 
2. Give them lots of juice and water. 
3. Let them play or whatever. 
4. Keep a close eye out for: "pee-pee dance", grabbing crotch area, holding tummy, crying, walking funny, etc. 
5. At the first sign of any of the things above, or they seem like they need to pee, pick them up and carry them to the bathroom, or wherever potty is located as fast as possible. 
6. Put them down, take off their pants and underwear completely, pick them up and sit them down on the potty.
7. Wait patiently (turning on the sink or giving them some juice to drink on the potty will help speed things up). 
8. Praise them if they go, and tell them to make sure they let you know when they need to pee, so you can take them to the potty. 
9. Continue to keep an eye on them and give them lots of drinks.

Since Kai Lynn likes Minnie Mouse, I bought her 2 training pants from Mothercare. This is in addition to a Charlie Banana one that she already owns (which also doubles up as swimming pants).  The use of brightly colored and character underwear really ups the fun ante and makes the kid feel less intimidated. Unfortunately, at around SGD15-20 a piece, they also burn quite a big hole in the pocket.  

The first 3 days were (understandably) a nightmare. She wet herself frequently and put up a struggle when we tried to change her out of her soiled clothing. When we tried to regularly bring her to the toilet for "pee visits", she was quite resistant. We used up the 3 sets of training pants within the day itself and had to use pull up pants after that.

The subsequent week was a marked improvement. She took pride in keeping her Minnie Mouse training pants dry but still wet herself at least 3 times during the day, especially when engrossed in a certain activities e.g. watching ipad. I was highly amused during one specific occasion where she crawled down from my bed, peed on my bedroom parquet floor and sheepishly crept up to me for confession ("Mommy I poot poot") and penance (she then proceeded to use a tissue paper to wipe the pool of urine on the floor). You go gal!

Week 2 has progressed well too. She is now able to tell us that she wants to go to the toilet but occasionally still wets herself before we can plant her on the toilet seat. Some degree of cajoling is still required during scheduled pee times but I think she is gradually getting used to the routine. We only had to change her training pants once yesterday. Rewards also help reinforce this positive behavior - her bounty so far includes sparkly stickers as well as "Action Chugger" from the Chugginton series. We however still have some way to go before she doesn't wet herself in public (during the 4 separate occasions I brought her out, she wet herself 3 times, albeit towards the end when we were approaching home). We are also still using diapers during her nap and sleeping times.

I'm not sure if things will hold up when I return to work next week. Close monitoring and regular routine is key. Nonetheless this is a good start and I can now say with some measured certainty that my baby should be "toilet trained" by Jan 2014. 

No comments:

Post a Comment