Thursday, December 6, 2012

Updates on No 2

So the news is out. We are expecting No 2. Unlike No 1,  there's less fanfare, less discipline and less anticipation.

I'm already on Week 16 and its been a relatively uneventful pregnancy (which is really great, since looking after Kai Lynn can be quite a handful sometimes) So far, I've only visited Dr Chan once (last month) and he seems happy with Baby 2's progress, save for a slightly low lying placenta (no cause for concern as long as there is no bleeding).

I'll be seeing Dr Chan for my 2nd and landmark 4-month appointment tomorrow, where hopefully we will be able to find out the Baby's gender.  Looking back on past posts, I notice that by Week 16, Dr Chan was able to tell Kai Lynn's gender. People often ask me- do I prefer a boy or girl this time? My immediate response would be "a boy" since we are already blessed with a girl (plus I can do more shopping!). Of course, even if Baby 2 turns out to be female, we will love her all the same. In fact, based on fuzzy Sarah logic, my perfect family combination either comprises of 1 boy+ 1 girl or 3 girls.

As mentioned earlier in this post, I've really been less disciplined when taking care of my health for Baby No 2.  Have been badly falling behind taking the pre-natal vitamins and folic acid as they really make me gag. Can't imagine having to stomach the dreaded iron tablets soon.

Cravings wise, there has not been much. I have been developing a strong liking for Chinese tea, Dragon Well (Long Jing) tea and Oolong tea being my latest craze. However, I have cut back quite abit recently as I read somewhere that tea has some negative effect on the fetus. esp green tea. Will ask Dr Chan tomorrow.

Up till Week 14, I had trouble drinking water and morning sickness was at its peak. Even till now, I carry a packet drink (usually Yeos Chrysanthemum Tea, Lemon Barley or Winter Melon Tea) with me to work to quell the occasional bout of nausea. Sugar really works! Unfortunately it is also bad for the teeth and excess consumption can lead to gestational diabetes. As commuting in a crowded train can be quite a strenuous affair, I have resorted to either cabbing to work or hitching a lift from my father in law, who has been a great support.

Food wise, I've been able to stomach food better than my first pregnancy though my appetite is still far from hearty.  Still feel relatively adverse to strong tasting food (e.g. Peranakan cuisine), chili (which used to be a must-have condiment for every meal) and chocolate (ironically!) but maybe things will change as the months progress.

Thanks to my lack lustre appetite, I have gained all but 1 kg so far.  Don't expect Dr Chan to express any concern over this as long as the baby is growing well. My stomach has yet to show but my pants are starting to tighten as my stomach expands. Need to start taking down my stash of maternity clothes from the store room.

My search for a confinement lady continues. Even though the baby is born in an unpopular year in the Zodiac calendar, I see lots of pregnant mummies around. In fact, in my mom's side of the family alone, there are already 3 of us delivering in the "Snake" year. Don't plan to engage my earlier confinement lady (Kelly) as she gossips and chatters too much!

Guess that's all I have to report for now. Not sure when I'll find time to update again but will do my best. 

Looking forward to a great dinner with friends tonight. =)






No comments:

Post a Comment