Sunday, April 17, 2011

Our Girl is a Sucker!


It happened 3 days ago.

When I tried to breastfeed Kai Lynn, she choked and made a face at me. I was shocked because my girl usually latches onto me like a chomping piranha.

Auntie Kelly (the confinement lady) suggested that perhaps my milk flow was too fast for her. Since I can't really feel the milk actually being sucked out of me, I am not sure whether to believe her or not. But one thing's for sure- my milk flow has definitely increased from 50ml in the initial week to 80ml currently and even 100ml this morning. And it's still not enough to satisfy my girl, who take 80ml every 2 hours.


Similac is my preferred choice of milk formula..heard it is one of the best brands for newborns.

We gave up 100% breastfeeding when Kai Lynn was approximately 5 days old. Worn out by her insatiable appetite and my insufficient breast milk at 4am in the morning, I sent Hubby down to the 24 hour NTUC to buy milk powder. He accidentally bought Similac's infant formula for premature and underweight babies. It took us about 2 days to "wean" her off the wrong milk powder but Kai Lynn is otherwise unscathed.

To help me get the hang of breastfeeding and gain more confidence (I am still unable to breastfeed without Auntie Kelly's help), I surfed around the internet and decided to engage the help of a lactation consultant. Since I am easily intimidated by authoritative figures like Mrs Wong from TMC (whose prenatal class I previously attended), the more kindly Sister Kang from Mt Alvernia will be visiting me this evening for a one on one consultation.

Since the confinement lady will be leaving us next Friday, I decided to bathe the baby on my own today- under the watchful eye of Auntie Kelly who looked equally nervous as me. It was quite a traumatic experience. I was so afraid I would drop Kai Lynn and was fumbling over my toes, making numerous mistakes in the process. Hubby also pointed out that we lack the dexterity to squat over the bathtub like Auntie Kelly and would need a standing bathtub.

Hope I fare better tomorrow...

1 comment:

  1. Hang in there! you're doing good.

    Breastfeeding was the most draining experience for me back then, gives me the shudders to think of going through it again..

    ReplyDelete